A new year is just around the corner, and what a great time to give your home a little interior redecorating! Interior decorating trends change just as fast as fashion and technology trends, and we wanted to bring you just a quick list of the upcoming 2018 home design trends that you can use to get the inspirational gears turning. So, as you’re browsing online for the greatest holiday deals, keep an eye out from some pieces that speak to you and could give your home a new look!
- Paper and vintage books are quickly gaining popularity as people seek a way to work in the past to their modern homes. Not to mention, it’s like having mini pieces of history in your home if you can find the right books! Yard sales, especially as people are cleaning out their homes for the new year, are great places to find some antiqued books.
- Type writers are always a classic piece to have in your home. Especially in an office or in a decorated bookcase. Amazon has a great set of type writer inspired coasters!
- Handwritten prints are also expected to grow in popularity for home design in 2018. You can check out some DIY projects to do with the kids while they’re home for the holidays that can not only stick to the trend, but add more meaning and uniqueness to the pieces. You can also look online, on sites like Etsy, for customizable items like kitchen dishes with your choice of recipes!
- When it comes to metallic finishes, it seems the trend changes every year. In 2018, switch it up and add some brass! Some ideas:
- Let’s face it, the world is a huge place with literally thousands of cultures. Why not bring a little of it into your home? Do a little research and you can wow your guests by sharing something new. Some specific types of décor pieces you can add to your home to achieve this:
- Moroccan Lanterns
- Mexican Textiles and Pottery
- Tribal patterns
- Wall tapestries
- A globe (seems obvious, but you can find some beautiful globes in varying sizes!
- Like this White Globe on a Gold Stand from World Market for only $25!
- Yes, you read that correctly. After the past few years and the growing hype of avocados, interior design is catching up with the fad. How can you bring in some of that bright, yet calming green color into your home? Here are just a few ideas:
- Throw or Decorative Pillows
- Bold furniture piece
- Paint an accent wall
- Subtle décor pieces like tea kettles, planters, trays, dishes, etc.
- This is a trend that seems to come and go, but in 2018 it’s back on the rise! Bring the waves of the tide into your home with just a few of these ideas:
- Embrace the color blue! From an accent wall, to a colored tile, or even a bold furniture piece.
- Sea life inspired décor pieces such as pillows, dishes, wall art, statues, serving trays, and more!
- Fish scale tile
- A fun, unique type of tile that’s great for bathrooms, entry ways, or even leading outside! There are many types of fish scale tile, but here’s a white marble example:
Other Trends to Watch For:
- Red accent pieces, no matter how bold or subtle, has long been an interior design trend and if you find the right piece, get it!
- Iridescent metallics are also going to be a staple. From accents in art to complementary pieces, add some shine to your home!
- Typography has been on the rise for a few years now, but it’s really getting unique these days! Get a fun pillow or some wall art with your favorite quote.
- Black and white – the classic home trend. Play with the heavy contrast and see what you can create!
- Neon accent pieces aren’t for everyone, but you’d be surprised what a neon yellow planter and some cute succulents can do to a room!
Share with us some of your favorite decorating trends in the comments below, and if you feel like updating a bit more than just some furniture or décor pieces, give the professionals at Fortin Construction a call!